Collagen is one of the most abundant protein in your body and its the major component of connective tissues that make up several body parts, including ligaments, muscles, tendons and skin.
Collagen has a number of important functions, including strengthening your bones and providing your skin with structure.
In recent years, collagen supplements have become popular. Most collagen supplements are hydrolyzed, which means that the collagen has been broken down, making it easier for you to absorb. There are also food that are rich in collagen such as pork skin and bone broth.
Collagen Peptides Powder from sports research is one of our recommended brands as each scoop contains 11 grams of type 1&3 collagen peptides with 18 amino acids including glycine, proline & hydroxyproline. With over 70,000 reviews, its definitely a fan favorite.
It’s flavorless and mixes easily with your favorite drink. It’s also non-Gmo, Keto & Paleo verified and has a 90 day money back guarantee incase you don’t see any benefits.
Consuming collagen may have a variety of health benefits, from relieving joint pain to improving skin health and below are our top 6 health benefits along with our favorite brand which is currently on sale for a limited time.
Top 6 benefits of Collagen
- Can improve skin health: Collagen has been linked to slowing down the aging of ones skin but there needs to be further studies done to completely support this thesis.
- Helps relieve joint pain: Collagen has been shown to reduce inflammation, thus resulting in helping with pain relief among people with joint disorders like osteoarthritis.
- Could prevent bone loss: Collagen have the potential to help increase BMD and lower levels of proteins in the blood that stimulate bone breakdown.
- Could boost muscle mass: Research has shown that consuming collagen supplements increased muscle growth and strength in people with age-related muscle mass loss.
- Promotes heart health: Taking collagen supplements may help reduce the risk factors associated with heart conditions.
- Other health benefits: Collagen supplements have been claimed to promote brain, heart, and gut health, as well as help control weight and keep hair and nails healthy.
Several foods contain collagen, including animal foods and bone broth. However, its absorption is not as efficient as that of hydrolyzed collagen.
Collagen supplements may lead to side effects, such as a bad taste in the mouth, heartburn, and fullness. If you have allergies, make sure to purchase supplements that aren’t made from collagen sources you’re allergic to.
Collagen supplements are generally safe, quite easy to use, and definitely worth trying for their potential benefits. As with any other supplements, always consult your physician prior to consuming this supplement.
FitResidents is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Pricing and availability subject to change.
Love our product reviews? Drop your email address and receive our newest reviews and exclusive deals directly in your inbox!